It hadn’t rained enough to make mud puddles here in over a year… until race day.
I’m not sure if the motor died because of the water but the throttle was sticking on the start line and it hadn’t even got wet yet.
This video is the start of the race up until it died. I kicked it for about 3 minutes after the video stops and finally got it started but it wouldn’t idle on it’s own or rev up past about 2k.
I limped it about half way around the track, trying to get back to the pits but it finally just gave up completely and I had to get towed back in.
Didn’t even complete one lap so it was a DNS. So much for starting the season off with a bang.
Dirt Fiend Racing (DFR) just signed us for 2013!
They do great work and they have a dyno in the shop.
I took the 450R to 2 different shops to have the front end set up and it was never right. DFR could tell it was off just by looking at it. After they made their changes, the quad handles like it never did before. It could take everything so much faster it made me realize how bad the stock rear setup is. The bike is in their shop right now getting a new rear linkage installed. An upgraded shock will have to come later.
If you need any work done, motor, electric, maintenance, whatever, take your stuff to them, they are really good.
Here’s a video from MOPRO
I’m in the first scene, where the atv’s are starting.
This is the first lap of the race. It was the first time using the new GoPro camera and I had it pointed down a little to far.
Here is a video from the guy that started in the line just in front of me. You can see me when he is walking to his quad.
The new track was a lot of fun and the bike had no problems.
We took 2nd place in our class.
Despite a crash on the last lap, we took first place at the 3 hour endurance race.
The 450R ran great and had no problems. On the last lap, I took a jump wrong and landed on the front-right wheel with my leg extended all the way, trying to correct the landing. It jammed my lag, spraining my knee and ankle.
Some helpful spectators came down from the stands and kick-started the 450R so we could finish the race.
The rim is destroyed but the rest of the bike held together throughout the entire race.
Thanks again to Dirt Fiend Racing for putting the bike together so well.
The guys over at Dirt Fiend Racing (DFR) have done awesome work on the 450R.
We had the entire engine rebuilt at another shop, including a new carburetor.
The carb never did work correctly it turned out to be missing critical seals.
The top end of the motor came apart at the first race and took out the rocker arms, cam, and carrier.
The DFR guys found all the problems, fixed them and we had them dial in the front end alignment. The quad handles like a dream now. I can actually ride in a straight line.
It ran strong through the next race but suffered some unrelated mechanical difficulties. We took it back to DFR and had them fix the rest of the problems. Now she is in perfect condition for the AZOP night race this weekend.
The track was great and the quad did ok.
We had fuel issues on the first and second lap but switching the tank to reserve fixed it.
A few laps later the front end started pulling and making a screeching metal grinding noise.
We finished the race at a slower pace.
It turns out the front wheel bearings were seizing up.
There was one sneaky jump on the back side of the mx track that was fun. It had a long climb that looked like it would be a table top but it dropped off the other side. The first time over resulted in a scary amount of air time but luckily a smooth landing.
The new Houser steering stem arrived for the 450R.
We were excited to get it installed before the next race until we found out it doesn’t ship with any bushings for the handlebar clamp.
The precision shock and vibe clamps are universal so they didn’t come with them either.
Now its going to be another week and $50 while we wait for the rest of the parts to arrive.
It’s disappointing that they couldn’t throw in some washers and rubber bushings with such an expensive stem.
The Canyon Motocross race last night was pretty rough but the new precision steering stabilizer and shock & vibe clamps did great.
Here is a link to the sportstrack recording.
We lost a rear wheel to loose lug nuts about halfway through the race. We stole a nut off each of the other wheels and limped it the rest of the way around. At the pits we switched rear wheels and were up and running again but it cost about 3 laps.